ITU Crowdsourcing Platform
This challenge is now closed
Public Consultation on the ITU 2016-2019 Strategy
The Council of our Member States launched the development of a new ITU Strategic Plan for 2016-2019, which will be approved at the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference in October 2014.
In preparing the Secretary General’s contribution to this work of the Council, we are asking for your inputs to the debate.
Tell us what you expect from ITU in the future, where we should direct our efforts to best serve everyone, including you; and which challenges we should be prepared to meet.
We invite you to participate in this Public Consultation. We are looking forward to your opinions.
Please share your views via this interactive platform or submit your written contributions by email to email@example.com.
Following requests for an extension of the deadline for contributions, the closing date for content submission has been extended until September 23, 2013.
Note: The remit of the ITU is defined by the Basic Texts. The strategic planning process aims to define the strategy to be implemented within the ITU's mandate and therefore proposals shall be within this scope.
Concrete wide social benefits through IoT, Big Data and Cloud Computing
The Internet of Things technologies together with Cloud Computing and Big Data analysis have the means to fulfill the goal of connecting the world and achieving major massive social improvements. ITU can play a key role in supporting the development of standards and projects around the world.
Are you aware of the mandate of the ITU?
List three key ways your life and activities are affected by information and communication technologies
Broadband, mobile technologies and cloud computing directly affect main productive and creative aspects of my life such as communication, information awareness, working and information exchange.
What trends in information and communication technologies should ITU consider while planning its strategy?
ITU should consider the technologies that will be the basement for making its global strategy a successful reality:
(1) Ubiquitous broadband. Consider all means broadband can reach everyone, everywhere and support initiatives worldwide.
(2) Internet of Things. Develop standards for RFID frequencies and support tests together with the main entities and groups in this area. Support worldwide IoT projects that provide massive social benefits, like this project I presented at Demo Conference in Brazil: http://bit.ly/marciaonthego.
(3) Cloud Computing and Big Data. Support studies and tests on public, private and hybrid clouds and support new approaches to data visualization.
(4) Mobility. Stimulate the full use of all the sensor technologies that are actually part of most mobile devices. Support initiatives to make mobile communication devices available to all people.
What would be the main areas and opportunities for improvement of the ITU?
Internet of Things, Cloud Computing, Big Data, Broadband and Mobility.
What are the top three achievements you would like to see the ITU accomplish in the 2016-2019 timeframe?
(1) Take broadband and mobility technologies to more one billion people around the world, specially to Latin America and Africa.
(2) Support IoT projects for massive use and benefits with huge social gains worldwide.
(3) Inspire more women and girls to study ICTs and become active players in this industry, creating new technologies and new solutions to make the life on the planet better to everyone.
What do you consider to be the top three challenges for the ITU’s work?
(1) Gathering commitment of the major broadband providers.
(2) Gathering commitment of the major mobile devices manufacturers.
(3) Gathering governments support.
Any other thoughts or comments you would like to make?
The challenges are tough, but so is the will of all entities and individuals committed to make all the wonderful ICT technologies available to the world, to the benefit of every human being.